2011 LUMIERE NOIR LIMITED EDITION - Signed by both the Winemaker, Bion Rice, as well as the Founder and Executive Director of the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, Roger Durling. Only 5 cases produced!!
Mocha, blackberries, black currant, and dark plum are enveloped by all-spice, black cherry cobbler, black tea and aged tobacco leaves, with hints of bitter-sweet dark chocolate, cedar, and caramel. Framed by velvety tannins and cellared for a year, Lumiere Noir is complex and perfectly balanced for your enjoyment now. - Bion Rice, Winemaker
58% 2011 Merlot, Sunstone Estate Vineyard, Santa Ynez Valley, Santa Barbara County
27% 2011 Cabernet Franc, Sunstone Estate Vineyard, Santa Ynez Valley, Santa Barbara County
15% 2012 Cabernet Franc, Sunstone Estate Vineyard, Santa Ynez Valley, Santa Barbara County
The first bottling of Lumiere Noir was produced from certified organically farmed Merlot and Cabernet Franc grapes grown from our 20-year old organic Estate vineyard. During harvest the grapes were sorted, lightly crushed, de-stemmed and pumped into open top fermentation bins. After cold soaking, the grapes were inoculated with BDX and BM45 yeast and allowed to ferment and macerate for 10-days on the skins to extract maximum color and flavor. Following fermentation, the wines were racked to 10% new and 90% neutral French oak barrels. After barrel aging for 30-months, the separate lots were blended to taste. Approximately 70% of the lot was bottled in January of 2014. Then, after an additional 4-months of barrel aging, the remaining 30% was enhanced with a 15% addition of 2012 Cabernet Franc, thereby adding a youthful mouthfeel with aging potential. This heightened it's fruit intensity and balanced out a very well aged wine making it even more complex. Only 150 cases 12/750mL were bottled in May 2014.
With proper cellaring, the 2011 Lumiere Noir will reach its peak from 2015 through 2018.
You may refer to Lumiere Noir as a Meritage or Bordeaux Blend. Meritage wines are provocative red or white wines crafted solely from specific "noble" Bordeaux grape varieties and are considered to be the very best wines of the vintage. Meritage, pronounced like heritage, first appeared in the late 1980s after a group of American vintners joined forces to create a name for New World wines blended in the tradition of Bordeaux. The word was selected from more than 6,000 entries in an international contest. Meritage combines "merit," reflecting the quality of the grapes, with "heritage," which recognizes the centuries-old tradition of blending, long considered to be the highest form of the winemaker's art. Meritage wines are growing in popularity and are currently the second fastest growing wine category in the industry. They are highly regarded for their aging potential, yet are completely approachable in their youth. Many Meritage wines have proprietary names in addition to, or rather than, Meritage. In order to obtain a license and use the term Meritage on a label, a wine must meet certain criteria.
Alc: 14.56% • pH: 3.72 • TA: 0.58 g/L • Residual Sugar: 0.28 g/L